October 5, 2017

SCRAP QUILTING





I recently joined a Facebook group for scrap quilters.  I certainly am a scrap quilter as most of every quilt I do is made from bits and pieces.  All their work inspires me.  Their enthusiasms amaze me.  The colors are great too.

It took me forever to make this quilt.  I stalled and put off doing anything for months. Then I would stall again.  Most of the fabrics came from leftover AIDS Quilt fabrics after we closed the Chapter here.  Many are Richard Morris designs.  Marvelous stuff.  The back came from the store.  Someone made this with lots of love and then donated it to us at the Discovery shop.  I bought it and brought it home.  I know the colors are dull in comparison to the front.  Then again, I do go overboard with color every time.

The name of this quilt is “The Last Quilt.” 

As you know, it isn’t.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….        

  • Himself:  Paid off the bank card today.  Now only one remains.  Work, Poolie visit, Gaming.
  • Herself:  Stayed out of the water as one of the burns on my hand looks awful.  Look where you gesture is my new byword.  Need to cut out the dark purple for the front of the Crow Quilt.  I’ve been procrastinating as usual.  Visit.  Book.  TV.  Bed.
  • Captain Poolie:  Perky.  Again had cheerful visitors when we stopped by.  A delightful cousin and Pam…whose dog got very ill in the night.
  • Reading:  ”Gerald and Elizabeth” by D.E. Stevenson.  Stilted.
  • Gratitude’s:  That I have G to help when my computer is unhappy.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you.....the second one is the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilt, Mage. Both sides!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do I know--I really liked the back best. I do hope you will have that hand checked. Infections can get serious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In person, the back is rather dead. I do have a doctor's appointment next week, and yes, I will have her look at all my burns.

      Delete
  4. Really like the blue focus! Considering the speed at which you seem to complete a quilt, I gather the actually quilting is done by machine rather than by hand as in days of yore as with my Mother’s scrap quilting. Do you have a special machine for the quilting as you insert the batting and add the other side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lay the batt, back and top out on the clean garage floor. I tape each layer down separately. When that's done, I pin it all together with safety pins starting from the middle and working out. To get it easily under the opening in my Bernina, I roll it. My machine is an old one. :)

      Delete
  5. They look well and thoughtfully designed wherever the material came from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful! I love the blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Those are so beautiful. You can really see the effort and love that went into it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the blue brings them both to life.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life