September 13, 2018

LAUNDRY MEMORIES

The Flower Child.  Photo Charlie Davis.
           
I’m so glad you all are enjoying my old photographs.  Some are crooked, some are blurred, and others are so far away in memory they don’t exist any longer.  I must admit that I am enjoying them too.

It’s a rather exciting day today….I’m doing laundry.  Now don’t laugh.  I’m taking Bob Woodward’s, and other’s memories, and sitting outside the garage in the shade.  A week’s worth of dirty clothing, towels, and sheets, are going around and around in machines.  Machines that require no participation. 

My mother’s wash, and Peg Clark’s across the street, went into a wringer washer.  Peg also put her son’s grey, uniform pants in wire hanger things that hung out in the sun to dry.  The hangers stretched the pants into shape and gave them a crease too.  No ironing.  Mother saved her soul by having first Dolly then Kathy to do the wash…and ironing.  I just run things in the dryer with a dryer sheet and hang them up as they come out of the dryers. 

What do you do with your laundry?  Or do you have a laundry memory or two?
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

  • Himself:  Had the decorative jewelry appraised: Turkish, silver, garnet red stones and no diamonds.  Ate dinner wandering through the Wednesday OB Farmer’s Market.
  • Myself:  Got all the official paperwork returned to where it came.  Had fun rolling through the street market.
  • Reading:  FEAR…fascinating stuff.
  • Gratitude’s:  As always G, and especially my friend DeAnna….for the birthday card.



8 comments:

  1. Boy does that pant-stretcher bring back memories. My mom used on my Dad's work clothes! I loved and still do the smell of laundry drying on a line. Way too humid here for that. I do my laundry the same way you do, but fold clothes while watching something on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fantastic photo, Mage.

    We hang the laundry on the line outdoors until the weather is too cold. I hate the dryer and use it as little as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. Mom started with the sheets and ended with work pants, almost all in one or two tubs of soapy water. After being paddled about, she ran the clothes through the wringer into the first of two tubs of clear water, then into a basket that went up to the back yard to be hung, or hung in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Memories of laundry day....I can see Mom and Gram on the porch on a hot summer day....they had the wringer washer and the runse tubs all set up and that was where they spent their day. In the winter, the clothes got hung on the line and then brought inside to defrost. They would stand the jeans up in a corner against the wall and when they collapsed to the floor it was time to iron lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother used those pants stretchers, and I did too when we were first married. I can remember washing diapers in the bathtub and hanging them out in the back of the apartment building where the sun never reached...didn't have a washing machine until after we were in our first home. No dryer at first; only much later, after the washer was paid for. Happy belated birthday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hum, those pants stretchers sound really handy. Could have used them when my husband was in the service. Never did like ironing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In our place, Sue does the laundry the way she wants, and it's best that I keep my grimy paws away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your photos are really terrific. Too many of ours are of poor quality. We just didn't have good cameras. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life