June 3, 2020

SLAW



George has developed finesse with the simple cabbage.  One of the first nights I was home, he served me a simple slaw.  Last week, he did it again.  Tonight he asked if I would like a chopped salad or a cold slaw.  “Slaw I replied.”

He’s always served sausage with noodles and slaw.  Now he has turned the cabbage into a wall smiling at the world.  I watched him rummaging in amongst the spices, and I quickly turned to my recipe books.  Bobbie Flay puts orange juice and honey in his slaw.  We didn’t have any OJ, but we had Mango.  Another famous chef puts a little celery seed in his salad.  George likes raisins in his slaw.  By the time he was done with his additions which included a little sugar and a dash of rice wine vinegar, he’d created a work of art held together with a randomly large amount of mayo.

What do you like in your cold slaw.

10 comments:

  1. My favorite slaw has cabbage, carrots, and bottled Italian salad dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like slaw nice and creamy but apart from that I have no experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like chopped apples. But now I would like to try onions, carrots, whatever. Sound healthy and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EVO and vinegar please with a dash of maple syrup! Just cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anthony's Fish Grotto used to put a little pineapple in theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I like what you and George added and may try that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I buy a slaw mix at the grocery store. It has cabbage, purple and white, and carrots. It also has its own dressing which I really like, nice and creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to try what you two had. I'm into adding to the bagged stuff as well; apple sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mayonnaise, celery seed, salt, pepper and cider vinegar. I add a packet of sweetener for a full recipe and half a packet for anything less. I can remember watching my maternal grandmother heating up an empty Carnation Evaporated Milk can on a stove burner so she could flick the closed end off with her butcher knife. The resulting razor sharp edge was used to chop the cabbage for cole slaw. I used to own one of those wicked sharp cans! Chopper extraordinaire! And this was before Cuisinart!!! LOL There were definite advantages to things made in the old days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes! I like raisins in my coleslaw too. I hope all is going well for you, Mage.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life