November 18, 2020

IT'S A HOLIDAY

 


We shop for the holidays online this year.  I have to remind him several times to buy this or that.  Eventually he does.  Eventually I wake up enough to notice he bought two of them.  Now the sun pokes its way through the morning fogs, and all seems right with the world.

Today seems to be a holiday too.  No swimming, no errands, no going to the dentist…the new dentist.  That’s Friday.  Frankly, I am not looking forward to this at all.  For years I’ve stayed on top of my teeth often paying out of pocket for a large repair bill.  Our old dentist, who saved my teeth, has grown cranky.  George told them that since they wouldn’t take our new insurance, we would be going elsewhere.  I’m really sorry about this.

 Going elsewhere means sticking a pin in a list and seeing what it gets us.  We find ourselves with a group dentistry in Hillcrest.  George has pretty good teeth; mine are a total mess of repairs.  Dentists look at my mouth and treat me as if I am scum.  I’m not.  I was just a recovering person who had no money for way too many years.  There are no free dentists.

 I laid in bed with a book late this morning…celebrating the non-holiday.  I have a few New York Times classic mysteries yet to read.  Bobbie must have thought my bookcases bare, for she sent me a mountain of readables.  My friend Katy sends me recommendations which I will read as soon as I can access the library again.  Until then, I will continue on rereading my own shelves.  We here in Southern California are in the Purple listing.  Everything must be done outdoors except reading. 

If you want us, we are either reading, walking in the water, or going to the dentist. 

 …………………………………………………………………………………………………..

  • <A HREF=http://geeeee-zer.blogspot.com/>Himself:  Ran the house, helped with the laundry, nuked dinner, made the bed, and aerobiced with me.
  • Myself:  Aerobics.  Laundry…just the sheets, read and let himself run the house.
  • Reading:  Gilman or CadelL.
  • Watching:  NCIS, & Finding Your Roots on KPBS both recorded so no commercials.
  • Photo:  2005: Us at a grandkid’s soccer game.  My crowned teeth.
  • Gratitude’s:  That I still have most of my teeth.

9 comments:

  1. We cancelled our dental appointment several months ago and afraid to go in yet. I'm hoping to survive until I get the vaccine. My teeth are also shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot visit the Dentist because of my chronic cough. I am going to allergists and ENT Dr. and hoping they will resolve this soon so I can stop taking sleep aids to get me through the night. Covid is good in that people do not see me at my worst coughing my head off 8 times a day! LOVE that photo. It is one of my favorite of you too. I also have a book for you...so IM me your mailing address again on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Covid precautions here for dentists are extreme but I am glad for the service for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dentistry is not part of our health care in Canada. It gets expensive. I don't have insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have an old lady mouth, full of teeth cared for by dentists since I was an infant. That's seventy odd years of dentistry. Think of all the changes in the art and practice in those years. I once had a hygienist say "I've never seen worse periodontal disease!" I got up and walked out. I do not have periodontal disease. She certainly had insert foot disease.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have faith that the new dental group will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great picture of the two of you. Wonderful smiles. I haven't checked if my dentist is taking non emergency patients now. I sure need a cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with finding a dentist. I just finished going to one a few months ago. When you reach 66, you get a medical card that allows free dental work, basically a cleaning and minor cavity work. You would need insurance or pay yourself for extensive work. Dentures are free too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had an accident at 16 that cratered my teeth. I have 11 crowns, some root canals, some not, and one missing tooth (recent). my front teeth are short because while they did not die as others did, they were broken and chipped so the dentist opted to just grind off the chipped part rather than cap them. so I can commiserate. my current dentist has never asked about my dental history. I have no idea what he thinks.

    ReplyDelete

postcards

Celebration of Life